Small brass plaque in stone surround, above Vicar's Stall, South side of Chancel. A suggested translation is supplied.
CAROLUS SHAW M.A.
č coll[egio] : SS[anctissimę]. Trin[itatis] : Cant[abrigiensi] :
Ecclesię hujus Vicarius, Anglicanę Pastor fidelis
Humanitatis eximię, Sinceritatis integrę,
Charitatis verč christianę,
Obijt Oct. 28 :
Anno Domini 1702 :
CHARLES SHAW M.A.
Of the College of the Most Holy Trinity, Cambridge
Vicar of this Church, and a Faithful Pastor of the Anglican Church
of outstanding Humanity, pure Sincerity,
and truly Christian Charity,
he died 28th October
in the Year of Our Lord 1702
A small inscription in the bottom right corner reads "Thomas Brancker presented this brass engraved by himself". Apparently Mr Brancker was at the time Headmaster of Madeley "Grammar School" opposite the Church.
Mr Shaw was Vicar of Madeley from 1690, and it was he who conducted the Funeral of John Crewe Offley (Memorial in Vestry) which he entered in the Register
Back to Cover Page